BIOGRAPHY OF KAGEMNI


 This spreads across part of the facade, on either side of the entry doorway. The text itself is thus divided into two symmetrical and complementary parts, which also show a complex nature. In the narration it is impossible to find, as anywhere else, a distinction between ideal good deeds, practical offices performed for the pharaohs, and pealing to the visitors. The three kinds are merged in a typically narrative style which takes into account the chronological stages of life. The spirit of the speech seems to exceed the traditional concept of a just and pious man, to describe his recent office of authority: the nomarch.
Source: PM III, p.521.
Publication: Urk. I 194-196; MIO 1 (1953), 210-226.
Comments: Junker, Pyramidenzeit, p.54; Edel, Untersuchungen, § 53, p.68-71 ;
 Janssen, Autobiografie, I Af 2; IIS 1, V 2, Bl 29, Bz 37, Dv 1, Hc 12-13.

Translation :
§ 113 'The State Vizier, Kagemni, says: "I was the favourite of Isesi. I filled the task of civil servant of the state, in the time of Unas. His Majesty rewarded me very generously, [and when I came to the Residence,] His Majesty rewarded me for it very generously.
The majesty of Teti, who lives eternally, reached the Residence... [His Majesty] learned their name in the Palace, then His Majesty ordered all things which His Majesty wanted, [which one made happen in the courthouse of the Six. As for] all things which His Majesty had justly ordered to be done in the courthouse of the Six, [it was justly done by my action.] It was with a deep desire that His Majesty wanted [that I should render justice] in all things which he ordered.".


§ 114 'The Vizier of the State, Kagemni, says: "[The majesty of Teti, my Lord, he who lives eternally, named me as the head of] all offices, on service at any hour (at) the Residence. His Majesty had confidence with regarding all things which His Majesty had ordered to be done, [because I was capable, because I was appreciated by His Majesty]".

"[Oh living... accomplish] justice for the king, because it is justice which the God likes. Known as Ma'at (to the king, [because it is truth which the king likes. Oh living...] you won't be able to throw slanders against me, because the sovereign knows my character and my conduct [and His Majesty has confidence in me, pleased that in his civil servant who is in this country, because I am] someone who speaks the truth and repeats the good in what the king likes. I desire that good is in me near the king and the great god, [and I desire that my condition of Imakhu is close to men and close to the great god. I judged] the parts so that they were satisfied, I fed the poor person, [I removed the pain of the grief-stricken.]"


Texts of bewitchment follow, in a rather fragmentary state.

Based on Alessandro Roccati: "La littérature historique sous l'Ancien Empire Égyptien", Ed du Cerf, 1982, p 139-141.

Comments